just-drinks authors and correspondents
Tom Vierhile, Innovation Insights Director at Datamonitor
Columns by Tom Vierhile, Innovation Insights Director at Datamonitor
Every month, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor considers the latest NPD in drinks.
Articles by Tom Vierhile, Innovation Insights Director at Datamonitor
Soft drink sales may be slipping, but it seems that consumers have never really lost their taste for soft drink flavours. The surprising success of hard root beer is opening up a new vein of soft drink-inspired hard alcoholic beverage innovation that could be the biggest new opportunity in alcoholic drinks for quite some time.
To the uninitiated, kombucha is a strange fermented tea beverage with a bracing vinegar taste that has always resided outside of the mainstream.
Don’t look now, but one of the most memorable and controversial trends in soft drinks from the 1980s and 1990s – clear soft drinks – is staging a comeback. And, some of the iconic clear soft drinks of the period, including Original New York Seltzer, Clearly Canadian and maybe even Crystal Pepsi are leading the charge.
In this month's review of drinks NPD, Tom Vierhile considers how wine companies are helping consumers make their wine-purchasing decisions.
By taking the pulp out of their products, could fruit juice makers be missing a trick when it comes to consumers craving healthy alternatives? Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor delves deeper.
The race for volume in the drinks industry is drawing to a close, with smaller packaging options coming to the fore, particularly in beer and soft drinks. Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor investigates.
The beer industry’s obsession with craft beer may have hit a peak of sorts with Anheuser-Busch InBev’s snarky Super Bowl ad mocking craft beer lovers as soft and undeserving of “brewed the hard way” beer like Budweiser. Controversy aside, large brewers now seem to be looking beyond craft beer as the next great growth opportunity by embracing new flavoured malt beverages (FMBs) proliferating in cocktail-inspired flavours.
'Beauty from within' is a concept that has captivated and confounded global beverage makers for years. The last great burst of innovation took place around 2008 and was short-lived, as a tanking global economy dragged promising “beauty from within” concepts like Nestle’s Glowelle down with it. But, with chatter about “beauty from within” growing again and new product innovation on the rise, is the beauty drink concept finally on the cusp of great things?“Beauty from within” is a concept that has captivated and confounded global beverage makers for years. The last great burst of innovation took place around 2008 and was short lived as a tanking global economy dragged promising concepts like Nestle’s Glowelle down with it. But, with chatter about 'beauty from within' growing again and new product innovation on the rise, is the beauty-drink concept finally on the cusp of great things?
The success of craft beer may be one of the biggest success stories in packaged beverages in the last 50 years. Craft beer currently accounts for over 14% of the overall beer market in the US and craft beer production nearly doubled between 2011 and 2014, according to the country's Brewers Association.
The next frontier for the beer market is not your local bar or pub, or the beer cooler at your nearby supermarket; it’s your kitchen counter.
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research