just-drinks authors and correspondents
A trained newspaper journalist, Richard Woodard was editor of the drinks trade magazine Wine & Spirit International from 2000 to 2005, responsible for writing, commissioning and producing a broad range of business-related content relevant to the international drinks industry.
He now works freelance and is a regular contributor to just-drinks.com, Decanter, The Spirits Business, The Drinks Business and Imbibe, among others.
Columns by Richard Woodard
Resident columnist and spirits know-it-all Richard Woodard provides his monthly take on the latest in the global white spirits industry.
Articles by Richard Woodard
When you look at the way the various spirits categories are defined, you'd be forgiven for concluding that the liqueurs segment comprises 'everything else'. Evenso, argues Richard Woodard, the sector is still worth operating in, thanks in part to consumers' perceptions of liqueurs.
Despite the market split, the Tequila category is on the cusp of its own boomtime. But, the positioning of the mixto sector compared to 100% agave carries echoes of Scotch whisky past-tendency to hype single malts to the expense of blends. And now, Scotch volumes are suffering. Will Tequila make the same mistake? Richard Woodard investigates.
Earlier today (13 May), French wine and spirits group Belvédère announced that its first-quarter sales were up 4.4% on a comparable basis. Here, we take a look at the figures for the first three months of 2015 by region:
Restructuring costs incurred in a “complete overhaul” of the business sent French wine and spirits group Belvédère to a EUR18.1m (US$20.3m) loss in 2014.
Demand for beer in emerging countries will continue to grow, accompanied by increased trading up in mature markets, according to recent research from Rabobank.
Earlier today (12 May), Gruppo Campari announced its first quarter results, including a 73% hike in pre-tax profits and a 13% sales increase. Here, we take a look at the figures for the quarter by region and brand:
Earlier today, Carlsberg reported its first quarter results, with losses up 34% and revenue rising 4.5%. Here, we look at the company’s performance during the three-month period by region.
Craft Brew Alliance recorded a wider net loss in the first quarter, impacted by tighter margins in its restaurant business and falling sales.
Full-year sales for German drinks group Henkell & Co topped EUR700m (US$788.8m), rising by 1.6% on 2013 thanks to a surge in the sales of still wines.
Swedish fruit cider brand Kopparberg is launching its biggest summer marketing campaign in the UK, with a total spend of GBP5m (US$7.6m).
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research