just-drinks authors and correspondents
Articles by Joe Bates
As the Travel Retail industry gathers for next week's TFWA World Exhibition amid the luxury yachts and pampered pooches of sunny Cannes, this most global of sales channels has much to ponder.
Responding to a significant increase in demand for Japanese whisky in duty-free markets worldwide, Beam Suntory has released the travel-retail exclusive The Chita.
Diageo has rolled out another extension of its Guinness beer brand. The 1798 Double Extra Stout is a limited-edition batch Guinness that has been matured in oak vats for 18 months and is packaged in a 75cl corked and caged bottle.
These are undoubtedly turbulent times for the Global Travel Retail business. An industry notoriously susceptible to external shocks has been tossed around like a vintage bi-plane flying through a tropical typhoon. The decline in spend among Chinese travellers, the dramatic drop in the value of the Russian Ruble, the sclerotic Eurozone economies, the strong US Dollar and its impact on the spending power of Latin America travellers are just some of the headwinds blowing Travel Retail off course.
As over 100 beer, spirits and wine firms head to flood-hit Cannes this weekend for the Tax Free World Association's World Exhibition - the biggest event in the Travel Retail industry’s calendar - they can look back on a tumultuous year. On the one hand, the number of international travellers continues to rise worldwide. Yet, a growing number of destabilising factors have hit the Travel Retail sector hard in recent times, jeopardising a niche, but high-profile business that, according to The IWSR, was worth in the region of US$9bn last year.
James Hennessy is the first travel-retail exclusive Hennessy expression since the release of Hennessy Privé in 2009.
Ahead of next week's TFWA Asia Pacific Exhibition & Conference in Singapore, which starts on Sunday, Joe Bates surveys the Travel Retail landscape in the region.
Hype Energy Drinks has signed a sponsorship deal with the Sahara Force India Formula One motor racing team for the 2015 race calendar.
A brewery which claims to the be the UK's first to produce only gluten-free beers is due to open in Edinburgh next year.
There should be a celebratory atmosphere in Cannes when this year’s TFWA World Exhibition kicks off on Sunday (26 October). After all, it’s the trade show’s 30th anniversary this year and organiser TFWA is putting on a number of events to mark the occasion, most notably a mass Charity Run along the Cannes Croisette.
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends