just-drinks authors and correspondents
Columns by Ian Buxton
Augmenting our spirits coverage, Ian Buxton will be casting his eye over the brown side of the sector on a monthly basis.
Articles by Ian Buxton
Long touted as the natural successor to single malt whiskies, premium and super-premium rums have yet to make a dramatic impact on consumers. Could that be about to change? Ian Buxton takes a closer look.
It may be age, but spirits commentator Ian Buxton is feeling somewhat jaded at the moment. Efforts by some Scotch whisky producers to entice consumers to trade up have left Buxton asking: Is the category at its 'shark-jumping' peak?
“May you live in interesting times.” That ancient Chinese proverb, surely apocryphal but horribly apt, seems to apply more than ever to Scotch whisky.
The time is finally here: Today, Scotland decides. Will The Union remain or is Scotland set to declare its independence from the UK? With the country taking to the polls, Ian Buxton takes one final look at what the result of the vote will mean for the Scotch whisky industry.
Last month, Diageo confirmed that it was upping the intake of its entrepreneur initiative project, Distill Ventures. Ian Buxton speaks to Frank Lampen, the unit's chief tasting officer, to learn how Distill Ventures is working out for the drinks giant.
Can China – the great driver of high-end volumes for Cognac – recover its lost glories in 2015, or is that market going to drift lower?
With reports last month that BrewDog is poised to enter the spirits category, Ian Buxton mulls what we can expect in the years to come from the off-the-wall brewer.
With all eyes turned to Scotland ahead of September’s independence vote some enterprising English distillers are making their own plans to turn the tables on the Scots. Yes, English whisky is back – and this time it seems it is here to stay, says Ian Buxton
Last week, the owner of Drambuie put the Scotch whisky liqueur brand up for sale. Ian Buxton considers Drambuie's history and the potential runners and riders.
It looks like Sazerac Co's warning a year ago that the world is running out of Bourbon has finally peaked. Earlier this week, the company said it is still short and there's no end in sight. Ian Buxton runs the rule over the matter.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages