GLOBAL: Water set for Asian soft drinks top spot - research
Asian soft drinks consumption continues to rise, according to recent figures.
Citing one of its latest reports, research company Canadean said late last week that the region's contribution to world soft drinks consumption volumes has stretched from 17% at the beginning of the decade to an estimated 20% last year.
Canadean noted that the global market itself expanded by almost 30% over the same period.
The company predicted that packaged water is set to take the top spot in the region's soft drinks sector. "Packaged water continued to lead the Chinese soft drinks market last year in terms of size, although the market has not yet been fully developed with regards to brand loyalty, industry standards and consumer awareness," Canadean said.
"Focusing on future opportunities the key players are gearing up by developing infrastructures and distribution networks in order to gain leverage before a head to head brand war starts. This trend is coupled with anticipated stricter category standards that are likely to be implemented across the industry."
Despite the lowest per capita consumption of CSDs in the world, "the category has for a long time acted as the main component of (Asia's) soft drinks market, being responsible for over 30% of consumption at the start of the decade," Canadean noted.
China and Indonesia make up over half of Asia's packaged water consumption. China is also responsible for the largest volume of carbonates, juice, nectars and still drinks consumed in Asia.
Low-calorie carbonated soft drinks will be the main driver for growth in CSDs, according to a recent report....
Negative publicity has contributed to a second successive year of declining CSD sales in India, according to recent research....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has declared a quarterly dividend on its common stock....
PepsiAmericas has posted a healthy lift in Q2 sales and profits on the back of a strong showing in Central Europe and the US....
PepsiCo has posted a strong set of figures for its second quarter....
The Coca-Cola Co. has posted a slight lift in second quarter profit as non-carbonates made their presence felt in the portfolio....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has posted a leap in profits for its second quarter....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends