Violent storm burst destroys 10% of Champagne crop
A freak hail storm which hit part of the Champagne area at around 5.30pm last Sunday evening (July 2, 2000) has caused extensive damage to over 3,000 hectares of prime vineyard, around 10% of the total appellation. In a short but devastating burst which lasted less than half an hour, hailstones the size of ice cubes beat a path along the Marne Valley from Chateau Thierry in the west through to beyond Ay in the east. The storm then turned north, crossing the Montagne de Reims and wreaked havoc in villages including Trepail, Verzy, Verzenay, Mailly, Ludes, Rilly-le Montagne and Chigny-les-Roses, where most of the appellation's top-rated Pinot Noir is planted.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research