UK Consumers Spent An Estimated £7.24bn on Wines In 1999
Consumers in the UK spent an estimated £7.24bn on wines in 1999, representing a 27.9% share of the overall expenditure on alcoholic drinks. Beer remains the largest drinks market, but wine has overtaken spirits and liqueurs. Unlike the other drinks, wines are almost entirely imported into the UK. Traditionally, the country or region of origin was the characteristic that defined the wine market - Champagne and fine wines from France, with cheaper wines coming from Spain, Italy or Germany. However, during the 1990s, imports were broadened out, with the New World wineries in Australia and California mainly responsible for the increase in choice, and the threat to the Old World. Eastern Europe, New Zealand, South Africa and even South American countries have also contributed.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research