Tomorrow's Market Trends - Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part III
Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials 2016
just-drinks, in association with The IWSR, presents this six-part review of the non-Scotch whisky category. In part three, we look at what the future trends will be for the sector.
Non-Scotch whisky is poised to continue its recent growth trajectory, adding 74m cases of sales in the 2015-2020 period - but nearly 57m cases of this growth will come from the low-value Indian market.
However, US whiskey is set to exploit its relative lack of historic penetration in international markets, with tantalising prospects for growth in emerging and established Western destinations alike.
Meanwhile, Irish whiskey producers want to break out of their reliance on the US for sales, expanding into new markets from China to Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa.
A number of European markets offer good prospects for non-Scotch whisky growth in the years ahead, most notably the UK, France, Germany and Poland. Elsewhere, Nigeria, Japan and Russia look promising, but Spain, Brazil and Canada offer fewer opportunities for expansion.
Top 20 fastest growing non-Scotch whiskies markets, 2014-2019 ('000s nine-litre cases, '14-'19 volume growth)
|Rank||Market||vol 2014||vol 2015||vol 2016||vol 2017||vol 2018||vol 2019||vol change ‘14-’19|
Source: The IWSR
All data has been sourced from just-drink's joint report with The IWSR, Global Non-Scotch Whisky Insights.
Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
The recent growth trajectory of non-Scotch whiskies shows no sign of waning in the 2015-20 period, with The IWSR predicting extra sales of some 74m cases over the period. Both US and Irish whiskey ben...read more
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report