E-commerce and the drinks industry: Pick your partners carefully, then worry about the profit
Modern day alchemy is very simple. Add the suffix '.com' to any business title or catchy phrase, and millions of dollars will be conjured up from the depths of the financial funding pool. Naturally, wine and spirits companies are eager to find out the real potential of notional value, which was probably why a recent seminar dedicated to e-commerce, organised by Harper's Trade Journals, at the LIWTF 2000, was so heavily oversubscribed. "E-commerce - will it make or break your company? Both," said virginwines.com's CEO, Rowan Gormley, based on the premise that the enormous, initial investment to launch any e-business will "put vast strains on the business".
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future