E-commerce and the drinks industry: Pick your partners carefully, then worry about the profit
Modern day alchemy is very simple. Add the suffix '.com' to any business title or catchy phrase, and millions of dollars will be conjured up from the depths of the financial funding pool. Naturally, wine and spirits companies are eager to find out the real potential of notional value, which was probably why a recent seminar dedicated to e-commerce, organised by Harper's Trade Journals, at the LIWTF 2000, was so heavily oversubscribed. "E-commerce - will it make or break your company? Both," said virginwines.com's CEO, Rowan Gormley, based on the premise that the enormous, initial investment to launch any e-business will "put vast strains on the business".
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research