E-commerce and the drinks industry: Pick your partners carefully, then worry about the profit
Modern day alchemy is very simple. Add the suffix '.com' to any business title or catchy phrase, and millions of dollars will be conjured up from the depths of the financial funding pool. Naturally, wine and spirits companies are eager to find out the real potential of notional value, which was probably why a recent seminar dedicated to e-commerce, organised by Harper's Trade Journals, at the LIWTF 2000, was so heavily oversubscribed. "E-commerce - will it make or break your company? Both," said virginwines.com's CEO, Rowan Gormley, based on the premise that the enormous, initial investment to launch any e-business will "put vast strains on the business".
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends