PepsiCo's Q1 results - Preview
The quarter saw the release of Pepsi-Cola 1893
PepsiCo will report its first-quarter results on Monday. Here, just-drinks takes a look at the group's highs and lows in beverages for the three months to the end of March:
- In February, PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi warned that the global macroeconomic challenges facing business will persist this year, adding that she had not seen trading conditions like this before
- A few days later, Nooyi said that the company will "keep the pedal to the metal on innovation" when it comes to driving the growth of its Gatorade brand in 2016. Analysts described the growth of the Gatorade brand last year as "phenomenal"
- In the same month, PepsiCo restructured its Central European division to include the Balkan region
- Towards the end of February, the company launched a global TV ad for its Pepsi brand as part of its European football sponsorship deal
- Meanwhile, European bottler Refresco Gerber lined up the purchase of a PepsiCo-owned bottling plant in Germany
- In March, PepsiCo launched a yerba mate version of its Brisk iced tea brand. The product, called Brisk Mate is described as an "energising iced tea"
- In the same month, PepsiCo revealed that CEO Indra Nooyi received a 17.6% pay increase in 2015 as she hit targets outlined to shareholders
- At the end of the month, PepsiCo promoted the CEO of its North America Beverages unit to head up its total North America operations, prompting one analyst to suggest that he could be in line to take over as group CEO
- The quarter ended with the official launch of PepsiCo's latest "craft" soda, Pepsi-Cola 1893.
Failure Case Study: Gatorade Natural; The challenge of attaching "natural" to a commonly artificial product
"Natural" continues to prove a challenge in soft drinks generally, especially for major names associated with "unhealthy" products, where the concept seems counterintuitive....read more
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Hot Coffee category in Saudi Arabia, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level....
"Natural" continues to prove a challenge in soft drinks generally, especially for major names associated with "unhealthy" products, where the concept seems counterintuitive....
Coconut water is the clear liquid extracted from unripe (green) coconuts. It is technically a fruit juice and is most popular in tropical countries....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits