just On Call - CAGNY 2013: PepsiCo sweetener more "evolutionary than revolutionary" - CFO
PepsiCo has hinted at a sweetener development
PepsiCo's CFO has played down the potential effects of its closely guarded sweetener innovation.
During the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference in Florida yesterday (21 February), Hugh Johnston said the sweetener could still create “significant value” for PepsiCo as the company seeks to revive the CSD category in North America. But he warned: “We see it as more evolutionary than revolutionary.”
Last week, PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi said that the company is developing new sweeteners and flavourings that could “alter the trajectory of the cola business”. No further information has been released and Johnston was unwilling to add more at the event.
PepsiCo's North American CSD category has struggled in recent years - PepsiCo Americas Beverages saw last year's Q4 CSD volumes decline by 1% year-on-year, while Nooyi last week noted the cola category’s decline in the region.
Johnston said yesterday that PepsiCo will continue to show patience with its beverage units. “We want to give it a bit more time, for the brand building we're doing and the strategies we've been employing around revenue management,” he said.
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018