just On Call - CAGNY 2013: PepsiCo sweetener more "evolutionary than revolutionary" - CFO
PepsiCo has hinted at a sweetener development
PepsiCo's CFO has played down the potential effects of its closely guarded sweetener innovation.
During the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference in Florida yesterday (21 February), Hugh Johnston said the sweetener could still create “significant value” for PepsiCo as the company seeks to revive the CSD category in North America. But he warned: “We see it as more evolutionary than revolutionary.”
Last week, PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi said that the company is developing new sweeteners and flavourings that could “alter the trajectory of the cola business”. No further information has been released and Johnston was unwilling to add more at the event.
PepsiCo's North American CSD category has struggled in recent years - PepsiCo Americas Beverages saw last year's Q4 CSD volumes decline by 1% year-on-year, while Nooyi last week noted the cola category’s decline in the region.
Johnston said yesterday that PepsiCo will continue to show patience with its beverage units. “We want to give it a bit more time, for the brand building we're doing and the strategies we've been employing around revenue management,” he said.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends