US: PepsiCo puts portfolio at risk with new sweetener - analyst
PepsiCo announced the sweetener developments last week
PepsiCo's new sweetener innovation may damage the company's existing portfolio of low- and no-calorie beverages, an analyst has warned.
Wells Fargo said yesterday (21 February) that it remained “ cautious” over recently-announced sweetener developments as cannibalisation could outweigh gains. “We think many factors need to be considered including ultimate positioning of this sweetener,” the analyst said.
Wells Fargo said that while it was encouraged by PepsiCo's innovation focus, “time will tell” if it can revitalise PepsiCo's CSD category.
Wells Fargo's comments came after PepsiCo's presentation at the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference yesterday during which PepsiCo CFO Hugh Johnston said the new sweetener, announced last week, will be “more evolutionary than revolutionary”.
Analyst CSLA said after the conference that PepsiCo will remain its top beverage pick for investors as the company's productivity drives and “new culture of savings” will continue to boost margins. PepsiCo doubled its productivity savings last year, CSLA said.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research