EUROPE: Off-trade beer volumes fall in January - figures
- Europe's off-trade beer volumes dip in January by 1.1%
- Molson Coors volumes climb by 7.8%, Heineken up by 4.5%
- Carlsberg volumes drop by 6%, A-B InBev down by 5.9%
- SABMiller volumes tumble by 9.4%
Off-trade sales fell off in Europe, according to Nielsen data
Off-trade beer volumes in Europe dropped off slightly last month while Heineken gained market share in the region, according to latest industry figures.
Nielsen data revealed that volumes in Europe's off-trade in January fell by 1.1% year-on-year. Heineken's volumes in the four weeks were up by 4.5%, while Carlsberg's volumes fell by 6% and Anheuser-Busch InBev's were down by 5.9%, according to the figures, published by analysts UBS in a note on Friday (22 February).
In the UK, Heineken increased its volumes last month by 7%, as Carlsberg saw a drop of 9.4%.
In France, Carlsberg's volumes dropped by 2.8%, as Heineken saw a rise of 1.6% and A-B InBev a fall of 0.9%.
In Italy, Heineken and A-B InBev performed the strongest with off-trade volumes up 4.9% and 3.2% respectively. UBS noted that private label and value brands took market share in the country.
The analysts said that it remains “cautious” on the beer market in Western Europe, due to the “weak consumer environment, high PCC (per capita consumption), low demographics, high level of competition, challenging pricing power, VAT/excise duty increase and private label gain”.
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages