EUROPE: Off-trade beer volumes fall in January - figures
- Europe's off-trade beer volumes dip in January by 1.1%
- Molson Coors volumes climb by 7.8%, Heineken up by 4.5%
- Carlsberg volumes drop by 6%, A-B InBev down by 5.9%
- SABMiller volumes tumble by 9.4%
Off-trade sales fell off in Europe, according to Nielsen data
Off-trade beer volumes in Europe dropped off slightly last month while Heineken gained market share in the region, according to latest industry figures.
Nielsen data revealed that volumes in Europe's off-trade in January fell by 1.1% year-on-year. Heineken's volumes in the four weeks were up by 4.5%, while Carlsberg's volumes fell by 6% and Anheuser-Busch InBev's were down by 5.9%, according to the figures, published by analysts UBS in a note on Friday (22 February).
In the UK, Heineken increased its volumes last month by 7%, as Carlsberg saw a drop of 9.4%.
In France, Carlsberg's volumes dropped by 2.8%, as Heineken saw a rise of 1.6% and A-B InBev a fall of 0.9%.
In Italy, Heineken and A-B InBev performed the strongest with off-trade volumes up 4.9% and 3.2% respectively. UBS noted that private label and value brands took market share in the country.
The analysts said that it remains “cautious” on the beer market in Western Europe, due to the “weak consumer environment, high PCC (per capita consumption), low demographics, high level of competition, challenging pricing power, VAT/excise duty increase and private label gain”.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets