EUROPE: Off-trade beer volumes fall in January - figures
- Europe's off-trade beer volumes dip in January by 1.1%
- Molson Coors volumes climb by 7.8%, Heineken up by 4.5%
- Carlsberg volumes drop by 6%, A-B InBev down by 5.9%
- SABMiller volumes tumble by 9.4%
Off-trade sales fell off in Europe, according to Nielsen data
Off-trade beer volumes in Europe dropped off slightly last month while Heineken gained market share in the region, according to latest industry figures.
Nielsen data revealed that volumes in Europe's off-trade in January fell by 1.1% year-on-year. Heineken's volumes in the four weeks were up by 4.5%, while Carlsberg's volumes fell by 6% and Anheuser-Busch InBev's were down by 5.9%, according to the figures, published by analysts UBS in a note on Friday (22 February).
In the UK, Heineken increased its volumes last month by 7%, as Carlsberg saw a drop of 9.4%.
In France, Carlsberg's volumes dropped by 2.8%, as Heineken saw a rise of 1.6% and A-B InBev a fall of 0.9%.
In Italy, Heineken and A-B InBev performed the strongest with off-trade volumes up 4.9% and 3.2% respectively. UBS noted that private label and value brands took market share in the country.
The analysts said that it remains “cautious” on the beer market in Western Europe, due to the “weak consumer environment, high PCC (per capita consumption), low demographics, high level of competition, challenging pricing power, VAT/excise duty increase and private label gain”.
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015