just On Call: MillerCoors to drop "non-core" economy labels, glass bottles
MillerCoors hosted an investors day yesterday
MillerCoors is to shake-up its low-margin beer category as it plans to dump its non-core brands and heavy glass packaging.
The Molson Coors and SABMiller US JV did not specify which labels will go, but said the move will allow it to focus on other economy brands such as Keystone Light and Milwaukee's Best Light. The company will also expand the Coors Miller High Life and Hamm's brands, it said during an investors day call yesterday (18 June).
“Our mantra is simplify and amplify,” said MillerCoors' president & CEO, Tom Long. “This is a great opportunity for us to reduce costs and inefficiencies in our network, and one way of doing that is by eliminating the non-core SKUs.”
MillerCoors also said an initiative to move from glass to PET bottles in the economy singles category is “very low risk” and will roll out across half of the US next year.
“We've tested the heck out of it,” MillerCoors CMO Andrew England said. “You can imagine the benefits to the distributor both in terms of saved fuel and saved spines in their workforce, notwithstanding the fact that glass also has a habit of breaking much easier than PET,” England added.
Last week, Long said he is looking forward to competing with Constellation Brands in the wake of the latter's takeover of sole US rights to Grupo Modelo brands including Corona.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories....
The 2012 acquisition of StarBev raised Molson Coors from ninth to seventh in the global beer market and significantly expanded its international coverage. This profile analyses the opportunities deriv...
Global Alcoholic Drinks industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The p...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018