just The Preview - The Coca-Cola Co Q3 & YTD
Coca-Cola releases its year-to-date results tomorrow
The Coca-Cola Co will report its third-quarter and year-to-date results tomorrow (15 October). Here just-drinks takes a look at the company's highs and lows in the three months to the end of September.
- Coca-Cola expanded the launch of its 25cl “slimline” can as the packaging innovation was unveiled in the UK. The move was part of a number of steps the company has taken in the UK this year to reduce calories in its sugared products, including reformulating Sprite to contain stevia.
- In July, an analyst questioned whether Coca-Cola H2 results will improve after a disappointing first half. Bernstein's Ali Dibadj said improving weather is unlikely to make up for any increase in “macro weaknesses” and “competitive pressure”.
- A US federal judge in July recommended Coca-Cola face a class-action lawsuit that accuses the company of misleading consumers over the health benefits of its Vitaminwater. The lawsuit, which is unable to claim money, still has to have approval from a district judge.
- Coca-Cola Co appointed the head of bank Santander's UK operations to its board of directors. Ana Botín, 52, took on the role immediately, the company said in July.
- Coca-Cola faced a recall of its Minute Maid brand in China in August after its New Zealand supplier confirmed it had exported tainted ingredients.
- Coca-Cola launched an ad campaign in the US to address fears over artificial sweetener aspartame. However, an analyst warned the move could backfire.
- Coca-Cola's Thai unit launched the company's first herbal product in August. Habu mixes four herbs - rosella, licorice, monk's fruit and cogongrass - and is designed to suit Thailand's tropical climate. But is this the start of Coca-Cola's move into health foods?
- Gay rights activists poured bottles of Coca-Cola down New York drains in August in protest at the company's sponsorship of the Winter Olympics, due to be held in Russia next year. In response, Coca-Cola said it “values and celebrates diversity”.
- In September, an analyst warned that Coca-Cola is losing out to PepsiCo in its race to capture the Chinese bottled water market.
In Coca-Cola's Q1
- Net profits fell by 15% to US$1.75bn
- Net sales slipped by 1% to $11.04bn
- Operating profits fell by 4% to $2.4bn
In Coca-Cola's H1
- Net profits dropped by 9% to $4.43bn
- Net sales fell by 2% to $23.8bn
- Operating profits slipped by 3% to $5.65bn
To read a just-drinks rundown of the group's second-quarter ups and downs, click here.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
We're just over two months away from the start of the biggest sporting event on earth: The FIFA World Cup kicks off on 12 June, when host country Brazil take on Croatia in the first match of the month...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review