just The Preview - PepsiCo's Q2 & H1
PepsiCo releases its H1 results on Wednesday
PepsiCo will report its first-half results on Wednesday (23 July). Here just-drinks takes a look at the group's highs and lows in beverages for the three months to the end of June:
- In April, PepsiCo signed a “multi-year” extension to its long-running Major League Baseball partnership.
- Also in April, the company announced the summer launch of three Pepsi extensions in the US sweetened with “real” sugar. The move may have been sparked by a decline in diet soda sales because of health fears over artificial sweeteners.
- In May, PepsiCo unveiled a new self-serve beverage dispenser allowing consumers to create about 1,000 different customised drinks.
- At the end of the month, an analyst said investor Nelson Peltz is ready to ramp up pressure on board members in his bid to force a split of the company's beverage and snacks units.
- In June, PepsiCo agreed a year-long deal with country music performer Blake Shelton to help promote its flagship cola brand.
- At the end of June, a PepsiCo JV in Egypt said it will invest EGY2.5bn (US$375m) to capture a bigger share of the country's dairy-based beverage market.
In the first quarter of the company's fiscal year:
- Group net profits rose 13% to US$1.21bn
- Net sales in three months to end of March were flat at $12.6bn
- Operating profits climbed 9% to $1.8bn
- Beverage volumes were flat
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends