just The Preview - Heineken Q2 & H1
Heineken is set to release its H1 results
Heineken will release a first-half trading update on Wednesday (21 August). Here, just-drinks takes a look at the Dutch brewer's highs and lows in the three months to the end of June, and recent financial results:
- It was a relatively quiet quarter for Heineken, as the brewer continues to assimilate its Asia Pacific Breweries purchase from Q1. But, as one unit entered, another prepared to leave: Heineken's Finnish brewer, Hartwall, was the subject of rumours in April that it was to be sold off. Heineken refuted the reports, but in July announced that the division is going to Denmark's Royal Unibrew.
- Heineken's Champions League sponsorship was another highlight of the quarter. Bayern Munich overcame Borussia Dortmund 2-1 in the final in May, and Heineken maintained its high visibility in the tournament with a range of marketing campaigns.
- In April, Heineken sold one of its former brewery sites, turned distribution centre, in Russia for an undisclosed sum.
- The brewer extended its Newcastle Brown Ale range in the US in May with the launch of Bombshell Blonde Ale.
- Hot on the heels of Carlsberg, Heineken unveiled plans in May to build a US$60m brewery in Myanmar as part of a new joint-venture. Heineken's former JV partner in Asia, Fraser & Neave, meanwhile, will continue to operate Heineken's Tiger brand in Myanmar for at least five years.
- Net profits were up by 37% to EUR227m (US$295.2m)
- Net sales rose by 8% to EUR4.15bn
- Operating profits “increased in the mid-teens”
To read a preview of Heineken's Q1 numbers, click here.
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- The just-drinks Analyst
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Molson Coors targets cost-savings - FY16 results
- Treasury Wine Estates sees H1 sales, profits soar
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends