just the Preview - Heineken Q1
Heineken is to release its Q1 trading update on Wednesday
Heineken will release a first-quarter trading update on Wednesday (24 April). Here, just-drinks takes a look at the Dutch brewer's highs and lows in the three months to the end of March.
- Heineken's bid to take full control of Asia Pacific Breweries continued to limp across the finish line as the company mopped up the last outstanding shares. In January, Heineken extended a deadline for shareholders to sell their stakes in the Tiger brewer and a few days later issued a final call. By February it had acquired 99.6% of all the shares.
- Heineken's Finnish brewer, Hartwall, made the headlines in the first quarter, initially with news it was to shed 75 jobs. Then, in February, Heineken announced Hartwall would undergo a “strategic review” to consider its future “within or outside” of the group. The unit's future remains uncertain.
- The APB deal continued to make waves within Heineken as the company announced a swathe of executive switches. The brewer said the personnel moves were to ensure it maintains a “positive momentum” in the wake of the deal.
- Heineken showed it was not neglecting older demographics with the launch of a competition to target the “grey dollar”.
- On 5 March, the brewer unveiled plans to build a 1.5m-hectolitre-a-year brewery in Ethiopia. In an interview with just-drinks, Heineken's GM in the country, Johan Doyer, said the country was developing fast and has big potential for beer makers.
- In a presentation to analysts, Heineken's head of operations in Central & Eastern European, Jan Derck van Karnebeek, said the brewer was seeing increasing amounts of people willing to spend on “five-minute luxuries” such as premium beer.
- Heineken unveiled a new executive position in March when Chris Barrow was appointed chief strategy officer for the group. He will oversee the “evolution of Heineken's wider business strategy”, the company said.
Beer in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile a...
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
Beer in Brazil industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile al...
Beer in Hungary industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile a...
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- SABMiller's troubles fuel M&A rumours
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's H1 Performance by Brand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Diageo Q1 sales dip "in line with expectations"
- TWE unveils Penfolds range after CEO's "bold move"