just the Preview - Heineken Q1
Heineken is to release its Q1 trading update on Wednesday
Heineken will release a first-quarter trading update on Wednesday (24 April). Here, just-drinks takes a look at the Dutch brewer's highs and lows in the three months to the end of March.
- Heineken's bid to take full control of Asia Pacific Breweries continued to limp across the finish line as the company mopped up the last outstanding shares. In January, Heineken extended a deadline for shareholders to sell their stakes in the Tiger brewer and a few days later issued a final call. By February it had acquired 99.6% of all the shares.
- Heineken's Finnish brewer, Hartwall, made the headlines in the first quarter, initially with news it was to shed 75 jobs. Then, in February, Heineken announced Hartwall would undergo a “strategic review” to consider its future “within or outside” of the group. The unit's future remains uncertain.
- The APB deal continued to make waves within Heineken as the company announced a swathe of executive switches. The brewer said the personnel moves were to ensure it maintains a “positive momentum” in the wake of the deal.
- Heineken showed it was not neglecting older demographics with the launch of a competition to target the “grey dollar”.
- On 5 March, the brewer unveiled plans to build a 1.5m-hectolitre-a-year brewery in Ethiopia. In an interview with just-drinks, Heineken's GM in the country, Johan Doyer, said the country was developing fast and has big potential for beer makers.
- In a presentation to analysts, Heineken's head of operations in Central & Eastern European, Jan Derck van Karnebeek, said the brewer was seeing increasing amounts of people willing to spend on “five-minute luxuries” such as premium beer.
- Heineken unveiled a new executive position in March when Chris Barrow was appointed chief strategy officer for the group. He will oversee the “evolution of Heineken's wider business strategy”, the company said.
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends