just The Preview - Carlsberg Q2 & H1
Carlsberg will update on its financial performance on Wednesday
Carlsberg will release it first-half and second-quarter results on Wednesday (21 August). Here just-drinks takes a look at the brewer's news in the three months to the end of June.
- In April, the group confirmed plans to cut the abv of its Tuborg lager in the UK from 4.6% to 4% to make the brand more "accessible".
- Later in the month, the Danish firm revealed that the senior VP at its Asia division had decided to quit.
- In May, a pear variant of Carlsberg's Somersby cider brand was launched in Czech.
- An analyst suggested Carlsberg, as well as Molson Coors, were the best placed of the mutli-national brewers to weather the threat from craft producers.
- The company's San Miguel Fresca and Citrus lager brands were given a fresh push with their TV advertising debuts in the UK.
- In June, the brewer's Bulgarian unit said it was launching a lemon version of its Pirinsko beer as part of a BGN5m (US$3.4m) investment in the brand and its Blagoevrad brewery.
- Also in June, reports from Ukraine saw the brewer suggesting it would have to close down one of its three breweries in the country, if a planned tax hike went ahead.
- In India, meanwhile, the group launched a "strong" fruit-flavoured version of its Tuborg brand.
- Then, at the end of the month, the company got behind a major new campaign to support the UK beer industry.
- Net profits came in at DKK62m (US$10.9m) against a DKK76m loss a year earlier
- Net sales rose 3.9% to DKK13.28bn
- Operating profits grew by 15.1% to DKK661m
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers