just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev Q1
A-B InBev releases its Q1 results tomorrow
Anheuser-Busch InBev will release its Q1 results tomorrow (30 April). Here, just-drinks takes a look at the company's highs and lows in the three months to the end of March.
- The company had its hands full with its bid to buy Grupo Modelo, a US$20bn deal first announced last June. January saw a major spanner in the works when the US Department of Justice launched an anti-trust lawsuit, saying it would “substantially lessen competition” in the beer market. A-B InBev did not take the action lying down, and together with Constellation Brands, which is in line to take full control of its Crown Imports JV with Modelo, it offered concessions. It is now on course to complete in June.
- A-B InBev subsidiary, AmBev, will have a big year next year when the FIFA World Cup rolls in to Brazil. Preparations are well under way to keep rival brewers from cutting into its dominant market share in its own backyard. Heineken, however, has other plans.
- In February, an analyst warned: “China is unlikely to be a major source of profits for A-B InBev and SABMiller for decades... maybe never.” There was more bad news a week later, when an analyst said other emerging Asian markets such as India and Vietnam will also lag global margins. It didn't stop A-B InBev announcing a new brewery for Vietnam last week.
- The company took its Bud Light Platinum brand, launched last year, out of the US for the first time, expanding into Canada in February.
- A-B InBev flirted with a potential PR disaster when it suddenly found itself facing legal claims it has watered down its beer. The company called the claims “groundless” and “completely false” and this month it said it will take “all legal means” to stop the former employee that sparked the claims.
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts