just the Facts - Scotch Whisky
This week, Pernod Ricard is hosting members of the media and the analyst community in Scotland for two days as it presents a capital markets day on Wednesday (30 May). Ahead of the trip, just-drinks looks at the Scotch whisky market globally.
- Scotch whisky is the largest international spirits category in volume terms, accounting for 21% of total market share. Vodka is second, with 20%, followed by non-Scotch whisk(e)y at 12%. Rum has 11% share.
- In value terms, Scotch again tops the tree in international spirits, with 25% share. Value follows volume's top four, with vodka (18%) non-Scotch whisk(e)y (12%) and rum (9%) leading the spirits pack.
- The largest market for Scotch in terms of value is France, with 10.8% share. The UK is second with 8.1%, and the US third with 7.5%. Looking at the BRIC markets, Brazil accounts for 4.9%, China has 3.2%, while Russia accounts for 2.9% and India 2.5%.
- Turning to brands, Diageo's Johnnie Walker leads the pack in Scotch, with 22.1% global market share. Pernod claims the second and third spots, with Chivas Regal (8.2%) and Ballantine's 6.5%. William Grant & Sons' Grants brand is fourth with 4.2% share.
All figures courtesy of The IWSR ending 2010.
Of course, we all knew it was going to happen. Didn't we? Since almost exactly four years ago, when United Spirits and Diageo confirmed that they were discussing a partnership in India, it was alwa...
The head of Indian alcohol production and retail company the Wave Group was shot dead in Delhi last weekend....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer