just the Facts - Europe and India's Path to an FTA
Earlier today (26 June), reports suggested that a free trade agreement between the European Union and India is no more than six months away. Here, thanks to EU news resource EurActiv, is a look at the path the two sides have been on to get this close.
- Diplomatic relations between the EU and India were established in the early-1960s. But, it was 1994's 'Cooperation Agreement' - still the current legal framework for cooperation - that opened the door to the broad political dialogue that has since evolved, notably through annual summits since 2000, and regular ministerial and expert-level meetings.
- In recognition of both sides' political and economic importance, the 'EU-India Strategic Partnership' was launched in 2004 to enable the two partners to better address complex international issues in the context of globalisation.
- To underpin the Strategic Partnership, leaders adopted the 'EU-India Joint Action Plan' (JAP) at their 2005 summit. The JAP defined common objectives and proposed a range of supporting activities in the areas of political, economic and development cooperation.
- In recent years, the establishment of a Free Trade Agreement between the two partners has gained momentum and a deal was expected in the spring of 2011, but disagreements have marred talks' progress.
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends