just the Facts - Diageo's Zacapa
Diageo secured a controlling stake in the Zacapa rum brand this morning
This morning, Diageo secured a controlling stake in the Zacapa rum brand from Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the brand and its history.
- Ron Zacapa Centenario was produced in Zacapa, Guatemala in 1976 in celebration of the town's centenary.
- The rum is produced and aged at high altitude - 2,300m above sea level. Master Blender Lorena Vásquez ages the rum in a facility named the ‘House above the Clouds'.
- The range includes Zacapa 23 containing a blend of rums from six to 23 years old, and Zacapa XO containing a blend of rums from six to 25 years old and aged in French oak barrels that previously held Cognac.
- Each bottle is finished with a hand-made woven band produced from dried palm leaves, or petate - a craft mastered by the Mayan people since 1400BC.
- The brand is co-owned by Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala. The company has its own distillery and four production plants, with direct operations in the countries of the Central American region.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts