just the Facts - Diageo's Next CEO, Ivan Menezes
Ivan Menezes will take the Diageo reins from July
Last week, Ivan Menezes was confirmed as Paul Walsh's successor as Diageo CEO. The 53 year-old, currently the group's chief operating officer, will replace Walsh in the top job on 1 July. Here just-drinks takes a look at India-born Menezes' career to date:
- Before taking up the newly-created role of group COO in March last year, Menezes was president & CEO of Diageo North America for eight years. In this time, he was also given the additional roles of Asia-Pacific chairman and Diageo's chairman for Latin American & the Carribean. He is widely credited for spearheading Diageo's bid to take control of India's United Spirits.
- Menezes joined Diageo in 1997, holding a variety of senior management postions with Guinness. In 2002, he was given the newly-created role of COO for North America. Two years later, he took the job of Diageo's North America president. That same year, he was appointed president of the group's Venture Markets.
- Before joining Diageo, the father-of-two held various marketing positons with the Whirpool Corporation in Europe and also worked for Booz Allen Hamilton in Chicago and London.
- His first job was with Nestle in India, who he joined in 1981. He went on to work across sales, marketing and strategy in Asia for the company.
- Menezes has an MBA from Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, a post-graduate degree from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and a BA in Economics from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi University.
The UK-based among you may have witnessed the Guinness takeover of the ad-break in The Jonathan Ross Show late last month. Reaction to the three-minute mock-talk show has been overwhelmingly grim....
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The recent spate of activity in the Irish whiskey category suggests that the sub-category is looking to make waves in the spirits world. Ian Buxton takes a closer look and considers whether all the fu...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets