just the Facts - Denmark's Royal Unibrew
The company changed its name to Royal Unibrew in 2005
Earlier today (20 August), Danish multi-category drinks group Royal Unibrew confirmed it has been given the regulatory green light to acquire Heineken's Finnish brewery, Hartwall. Here just-drinks takes a look at Royal Unibrew's business as it ups its footprint.
- The current incarnation of the Faxe-headquartered company was established in 1992, but most of Royal Unibrew's breweries date back to the 19th Century.
- Royal Unibrew took on its name in 2005, changing from Bryggerigruppen, to make it more recognisable internationally.
- Since the early 1990s, the group has made a number of acquisitions, including breweries in Lithuania, Lativia, Poland and the Carribean.
- In Western Europe, its main markets are Denmark, Germany and Italy. In Denmark the company sells beer and soft drinks and is strong in Italy with its super premium strong ale, Ceres.
- In Eastern Europe, the company operates in Lithuania and Latvia selling beer and soft drinks, including fruit juices.
- The company sells its malt drinks in a number of Carribbean and African countries, as well as European and North American cities with significant Afro-Carribean populations.
- Royal Unibrew also has a 25% stake in Norway's Hansa Borg Bryggerier, the country's second-largest brewery.
- Beer - Royal, Albani, Ceres, Faxe, Thor, Lacplesis, Livu
- Cido (brand) - juice, mineral water, carbonated soft-drinks, non-carbonated soft-drinks, cider
- Malt Beverage - Vita Malt
- Royal Unibrew also brews and markets Heineken in Denmark.
In 2012, the company posted sales of DKK3.4bn (US$612m) and sold 5.4m hectolitres of beer, malt and soft drinks. Royal Unibrew employs around 1,600 people and is listed on NASDAQ OMX.
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research