just the Facts - Canada's Beer Market
One in every 100 jobs is in the so-called 'beer economy'
A new report - From Farm to Glass: The Value of Beer - published today (5 November) reveals some key facts and figures on Canada's beer market. Here's we present highlights from the report, which was commissioned by Beer Canada, and published by the Conference Board of Canada:
- Beer is the most popular alcoholic beverage in the country, accounting for 8.1% of all household spending on food and beverages
- Total beer sales averaged CAD12.3bn annually between 2009 and 2011. Consumption accounted for CAD13.8bn annually in economic activity during this period
- Canadians bought the equivalent of 235 bottles of beer per person in 2012 at beer and liquor stores and agencies.
- Every dollar that Canadians spend on beer generates CAD1.12 in the Canadian economy
- The so-called 'beer economy' supports 163,200 jobs across the country, or one out of every 100 jobs in Canada.
- Beer consumption generates CAD5.8 billion in annual tax revenues for federal, provincial, territorial and municipal governments.
- In 2012, residents in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec and the Prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) consumed more beer than the Canadian average; British Columbians consumed the lowest amount.
- British Columbia has 72 breweries, second only to Ontario.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India