just On Call - US vodka hit by "flavour fatigue" - Brown Forman CEO
Brown-Forman released its first-half results yesterday
Paul Varga told analysts in a conference call yesterday (4 December) that though he has no hard data on a shift in consumption to flavoured whiskies, “we certainly have been hearing some of that more anecdotally”. Varga was speaking after first-half results that saw Tennessee Honey post double-digit growth in the US two-and-a-half years on from its launch.
“We have seen a little bit of softening (in vodka),” the CEO said, whose group owns the Finlandia brand. “And we've been hearing anecdotally in the flavoured vodka arena that maybe there is some oversaturation with flavour or a little flavour fatigue.”
In October, Brown-Forman moved further into the flavoured brown-spirits category with the release of Winter Jack, which Varga yesterday described as “an additional flavour from Jack Daniel's”.
He said the success of Tennessee Honey, and early feedback on Winter Jack has encouraged the company to plan more flavours.
Meanwhile, Brown-Forman CFO, Don Berg, who was hosting his last conference call before his retirement, said the US on-trade market is “slightly declining”, though he is unsure why.
Berg said: “Sometimes it's high gasoline prices. Sometimes it can be little shocks in the market of one nature or another. But this has been trending down for a little while now and it's hard to really say exactly why.”
Berg will hand over his duties on 31 January to Jane Morreau. Berg officially leaves on 30 April, the end of the company's financial year.
just-drinks on-trend: vodka flavours review
In the first of a new “on-trend” series, just-drinks dives a little deeper than usual into this trend-in-flux. In this mini-report, we look at recent vodka flavour consumption volume, focusing on the ...read more
It looks like 2014 is shaping up to be the year of surprises in the spirits industry. First up, in January, we saw Beam Inc head in a direction that few of us foresaw. Then, today, Whyte & Mackay has ...
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
Russian investor Roustam Tariko, the owner of Russian Standard, gained full control of CEDC in April 2013. The new owner is expected to focus more on the Russian market. This, in turn, could mean less...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets