just On Call - PepsiCo aims to lead bid to refresh cola category
PepsiCo released its full-year results today
PepsiCo chairman & CEO, Indra Nooyi, told analysts today (14 February) that despite a decline in cola sales and demand for lower calorie drinks, consumers still “love bubbles and the cola taste”. “We'd like to lead in innovation, Nooyi said, adding that there have been no major innovations in the category since Diet Coke.
Nooyi said the company is developing new sweeteners and flavourings that could “alter the trajectory of the cola business” in North America.
Her comments came after the group earlier today released a mixed set of full-year results, with its food units outperforming beverages.
PepsiCo's chief said there is also still growth in carbonated soft drinks outside of colas in North America, with Mountain Dew posting increased volumes in its full-year results. Earlier this week, PepsiCo unveiled Kickstart, a Mountain Dew extension designed for the breakfast table.
On obesity concerns, Nooyi said the biggest challenge facing PepsiCo is “not to do anything stupid”. She said the company anticipated the issue and a few years ago moved to diversify its portfolio and research new technologies.
Meanwhile, Nooyi praised PepsiCo's Chinese New Year performance as “extremely attractive” and said the company's partnership with Tingyi in the country was “very strong”. PepsiCo signed a US$5bn deal with Tingyi last year.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research