just On Call - PepsiCo aims to lead bid to refresh cola category
PepsiCo released its full-year results today
PepsiCo chairman & CEO, Indra Nooyi, told analysts today (14 February) that despite a decline in cola sales and demand for lower calorie drinks, consumers still “love bubbles and the cola taste”. “We'd like to lead in innovation, Nooyi said, adding that there have been no major innovations in the category since Diet Coke.
Nooyi said the company is developing new sweeteners and flavourings that could “alter the trajectory of the cola business” in North America.
Her comments came after the group earlier today released a mixed set of full-year results, with its food units outperforming beverages.
PepsiCo's chief said there is also still growth in carbonated soft drinks outside of colas in North America, with Mountain Dew posting increased volumes in its full-year results. Earlier this week, PepsiCo unveiled Kickstart, a Mountain Dew extension designed for the breakfast table.
On obesity concerns, Nooyi said the biggest challenge facing PepsiCo is “not to do anything stupid”. She said the company anticipated the issue and a few years ago moved to diversify its portfolio and research new technologies.
Meanwhile, Nooyi praised PepsiCo's Chinese New Year performance as “extremely attractive” and said the company's partnership with Tingyi in the country was “very strong”. PepsiCo signed a US$5bn deal with Tingyi last year.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018