just On Call - PepsiCo aims to lead bid to refresh cola category
PepsiCo released its full-year results today
PepsiCo chairman & CEO, Indra Nooyi, told analysts today (14 February) that despite a decline in cola sales and demand for lower calorie drinks, consumers still “love bubbles and the cola taste”. “We'd like to lead in innovation, Nooyi said, adding that there have been no major innovations in the category since Diet Coke.
Nooyi said the company is developing new sweeteners and flavourings that could “alter the trajectory of the cola business” in North America.
Her comments came after the group earlier today released a mixed set of full-year results, with its food units outperforming beverages.
PepsiCo's chief said there is also still growth in carbonated soft drinks outside of colas in North America, with Mountain Dew posting increased volumes in its full-year results. Earlier this week, PepsiCo unveiled Kickstart, a Mountain Dew extension designed for the breakfast table.
On obesity concerns, Nooyi said the biggest challenge facing PepsiCo is “not to do anything stupid”. She said the company anticipated the issue and a few years ago moved to diversify its portfolio and research new technologies.
Meanwhile, Nooyi praised PepsiCo's Chinese New Year performance as “extremely attractive” and said the company's partnership with Tingyi in the country was “very strong”. PepsiCo signed a US$5bn deal with Tingyi last year.
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research