just On Call - Nigeria beer market recovery dragging - Diageo
Diageo still sees plenty of opportunity in Africa
The head of Diageo's African operations has admitted that Nigeria's beer market is taking longer to recover than the company anticipated.
Nick Blazquez, the group's Africa, Turkey, Russia & Eastern Europe president, said that more “softness” is expected in the key market in the second half of Diageo's financial year. “I expect it will come back, but it will take a bit longer than we were expecting,” Blazquez told an analysts' conference call earlier today (6 March).
In Diageo's H1 results last month, the company said that trading in Nigeria had been “challenging”, with sales rising by only 5% year-on-year. Last month, the company revealed a change of boss at its East African Breweries subsidiary.
Blazquez later added: “The size of (Nigeria's) beer market still has some significant rate to grow.” He also flagged that the company was “capacity constrained” in the country until nine months ago.
Conversely, Blazquez said the company's spirits growth in Nigeria is “very strong”.
Meanwhile, Diageo is benefiting from rapidly-improving infrastructure across Africa, Blazquez said, pointing to the setting up of a company finance centre in Nairobi, Kenya.
On Turkey, he acknowledged a probe by the country's competition authorities into Mey Icki. Blazquez said the company was “co-operating with the authorities” and believes it will not be found to have been acting “inappropriately”.
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts