just On Call - Nigeria beer market recovery dragging - Diageo
Diageo still sees plenty of opportunity in Africa
The head of Diageo's African operations has admitted that Nigeria's beer market is taking longer to recover than the company anticipated.
Nick Blazquez, the group's Africa, Turkey, Russia & Eastern Europe president, said that more “softness” is expected in the key market in the second half of Diageo's financial year. “I expect it will come back, but it will take a bit longer than we were expecting,” Blazquez told an analysts' conference call earlier today (6 March).
In Diageo's H1 results last month, the company said that trading in Nigeria had been “challenging”, with sales rising by only 5% year-on-year. Last month, the company revealed a change of boss at its East African Breweries subsidiary.
Blazquez later added: “The size of (Nigeria's) beer market still has some significant rate to grow.” He also flagged that the company was “capacity constrained” in the country until nine months ago.
Conversely, Blazquez said the company's spirits growth in Nigeria is “very strong”.
Meanwhile, Diageo is benefiting from rapidly-improving infrastructure across Africa, Blazquez said, pointing to the setting up of a company finance centre in Nairobi, Kenya.
On Turkey, he acknowledged a probe by the country's competition authorities into Mey Icki. Blazquez said the company was “co-operating with the authorities” and believes it will not be found to have been acting “inappropriately”.
Sorghum Beer in Africa to 2017: Market Guide
Canadean’s, "Sorghum Beer in Africa to 2017: Market Guide" provides in-depth detail on the trends and drivers of the Sorghum Beer in Africa to 2017 market in Africa. The quantitative data in the repor...read more
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018