just On Call - Nigeria beer market recovery dragging - Diageo
Diageo still sees plenty of opportunity in Africa
The head of Diageo's African operations has admitted that Nigeria's beer market is taking longer to recover than the company anticipated.
Nick Blazquez, the group's Africa, Turkey, Russia & Eastern Europe president, said that more “softness” is expected in the key market in the second half of Diageo's financial year. “I expect it will come back, but it will take a bit longer than we were expecting,” Blazquez told an analysts' conference call earlier today (6 March).
In Diageo's H1 results last month, the company said that trading in Nigeria had been “challenging”, with sales rising by only 5% year-on-year. Last month, the company revealed a change of boss at its East African Breweries subsidiary.
Blazquez later added: “The size of (Nigeria's) beer market still has some significant rate to grow.” He also flagged that the company was “capacity constrained” in the country until nine months ago.
Conversely, Blazquez said the company's spirits growth in Nigeria is “very strong”.
Meanwhile, Diageo is benefiting from rapidly-improving infrastructure across Africa, Blazquez said, pointing to the setting up of a company finance centre in Nairobi, Kenya.
On Turkey, he acknowledged a probe by the country's competition authorities into Mey Icki. Blazquez said the company was “co-operating with the authorities” and believes it will not be found to have been acting “inappropriately”.
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends