just On Call - Nigeria beer market recovery dragging - Diageo
Diageo still sees plenty of opportunity in Africa
The head of Diageo's African operations has admitted that Nigeria's beer market is taking longer to recover than the company anticipated.
Nick Blazquez, the group's Africa, Turkey, Russia & Eastern Europe president, said that more “softness” is expected in the key market in the second half of Diageo's financial year. “I expect it will come back, but it will take a bit longer than we were expecting,” Blazquez told an analysts' conference call earlier today (6 March).
In Diageo's H1 results last month, the company said that trading in Nigeria had been “challenging”, with sales rising by only 5% year-on-year. Last month, the company revealed a change of boss at its East African Breweries subsidiary.
Blazquez later added: “The size of (Nigeria's) beer market still has some significant rate to grow.” He also flagged that the company was “capacity constrained” in the country until nine months ago.
Conversely, Blazquez said the company's spirits growth in Nigeria is “very strong”.
Meanwhile, Diageo is benefiting from rapidly-improving infrastructure across Africa, Blazquez said, pointing to the setting up of a company finance centre in Nairobi, Kenya.
On Turkey, he acknowledged a probe by the country's competition authorities into Mey Icki. Blazquez said the company was “co-operating with the authorities” and believes it will not be found to have been acting “inappropriately”.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research