just On Call - Molson Coors to remain focussed on innovation - CEO
Molson Coors will keep its eye firmly fixed on innovation, its CEO says
The CEO of Molson Coors has declared that innovation remains the company’s “top priority” in 2014 as part of a bid to attract new drinkers.
In a conference call today (13 February) following the group’s full-year results, Peter Swinburn said the group’s “innovation pipeline” had its best year in 2013, producing around 6% of the company's global net sales. In the US, its JV with SABMiller, MillerCoors, is “migrating” towards the “high-margin and fast-growing above-premium segment”. The unit also launched Miller Fortune this week, a new 6.9% abv golden lager, while a major new cider launch, Smith & Forge, is also planned.
While Coors Light suffered in the US last year, Swinburn flagged that the brand’s sales were up by 30% in the UK last year. It grew “even faster” in Latin American and Mexico, he said.
In Canada, Swinburn warned that the group’s earnings will be hit this year by its decision to “accelerate” the end of a JV that sees it control Grupo Modelo's brands in the country. The Mexican brands brought in around US$18m of pretax profits in 2013, he noted.
However, Molson Coors will get US$70m in compensation from Anheuser-Busch InBev when it assumes control of these brands at the end of this month. A-B InBev is examining distribution deals for Modelo's brands globally, after it acquired the Mexican firm for US$20.1bn last June.
Grupo Modelo is the leading company in beer in Mexico and its strategic direction has always pointed to international consumers as well. A recent example of this is its objective for 2015 which is to ...
Alcoholic Drinks in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also...
Alcoholic Drinks in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains d...
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo nears wine exit with Acacia sale to Peju
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research