just On Call - Maker's Mark abv storm behind sales spike - Beam CEO
Beam planned to decrease Maker's Mark's alcohol content
Beam Inc's much-criticised decision to lower Maker's Mark's abv pushed the brand's sales growth to unsustainable levels, the firm's CEO has said.
Matt Shattock told analysts in a call today (2 May) that consumer stockpiling after the planned drop was announced is behind Maker's Mark's 44% sales jump in first-quarter results. “We did see a bit of a buying forward from customers so that took the growth rate of shipments ahead of the underlying sales growth,” Shattock said.
However, he added: “We won't expect to see those 44% growth rates sustained through the year. In fact, we can't sustain them.”
Shattock said demand is expected to temper through the year, with Beam managing supplies through pricing and market mix. "There is enough liquid to sustain a solid rate of growth," he said.
It was high demand for Maker's Mark that led Beam to announce a planned drop in the Bourbon's abv from 45% to 42% to help conserve supplies. However, the announcement sparked a storm of protest from consumers and the company quickly reversed it decision.
The sales spike for Maker's Mark helped Beam to a 22.6% net profits jump in today's Q1 results despite headwinds in South America and Asia, the company said.
The recent spate of activity in the Irish whiskey category suggests that the sub-category is looking to make waves in the spirits world. Ian Buxton takes a closer look and considers whether all the fu...
Beam, as the world’s fourth largest international spirits company and seventh largest overall, should be in a strong position. In some ways it is, however, it suffers from a large proportion of its vo...
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review