just On Call - Innovation not just about new flavours - Coca-Cola Amatil
CCA released its first-half results today
In an analysts' conference call today (20 August), after posting a first-half drop in profits and sales, MD Terry Davis said that there is “no structural weakness in the CSD category”. However, Davies admitted that CCA will have to “innovate aggressively”, aside from new flavours.
“We invented the Share a Coke marketing drive and now it is everywhere,” Davis said. “We know that innovation not just about the flavours.”
Davis said CCA's “portion control” strategy, which includes smaller-sized 20cl brand Coca-Cola cans, is growing “by 60% a year and attracting new consumers with very different occasions”. He also said the company will launch Coca-Cola Lemon later this year, “which will add material value to volume”.
Coca-Cola's Share a Coke push, which replaces the Coca-Cola script on packaging with common first names, was launched in Australia in 2011 and helped increase young adult consumption by 7%, according to The Guardian.
Coca-Cola rolled it out in Europe this year and it is the company's biggest summer marketing campaign. A Coca-Cola UK & Ireland spokesperson told just-drinks today it is still to early to disclose the success of the campaign but added that it is “going well”.
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research