just On Call - Gruppo Campari CEO admits US slowdown
Campari launched its YTD results today
Gruppo Campari's CEO has blamed political “turmoil” for a slowdown in the US that has hit his firm's brands' on-trade value.
In an call with analysts today (14 November), Bob Kunze-Concewitz said the company has trimmed full-year estimates of 4-5% value growth in the US by one percentage point. However, he said that compared to some of Campari's other key markets the US is performing well.
Kunze-Concewitz said: “What has slowed down (in the US) is on-premise and we believe that the turmoil in the political sphere has had an impact on consumer sentiment.
“But overall, and especially compared to other key markets, the US in good shape.”
The US federal government shut down temporarily in October because of a stalemate between Republicans and Democrats.
Kunze-Concewitz also said it is “the right time” for the company to launch its own distribution company in Spain despite economic uncertainty in the country.
He said in-house distribution will help “accelerate brand building” in Spain after Campari brands had reached “critical mass”. Campari today announced the launch of a “full in-market distribution company in Spain” during the release of its year-to-date results.
Nomura analysts Ian Shackleton had questioned the move in the call, saying: “Nobody has said anything positive around Spain for some time.”
The new distribution company will start operations on 1 April next year, Campari said. “The initiative is for Gruppo Campari to become a key player in the Spanish market, in particular by leveraging the strong growth potential for Aperol,” it said
It looks like 2014 is shaping up to be the year of surprises in the spirits industry. First up, in January, we saw Beam Inc head in a direction that few of us foresaw. Then, today, Whyte & Mackay has ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Davide Campari – Milano S.p.A. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. T...
Since 2010, Campari has become increasingly reliant on acquisitions, such as the 2012 purchase of Lascelles de Mercado, for growth. The profile looks at why this is the case, the benefits of its most ...
Business Monitor International's Italy Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bod...
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014