just On Call - Flavoured water is "healthy" - Danone CFO
Danone released its H1 results today.
Groupe Danone's CFO has defended its flavoured water brands from accusations they contain too much sugar, saying they sit “at the heart” of the company's health strategy.
On an analysts' conference call today (29 July), following the group's first-half results, Pierre-Andre Terrise said that so-called “aqua drinks”, which account for 30% of Danone's water sales, are "healthy" and low in sugar compared to other soft drinks. He said consumers don't view them as a replacement for water but as “something more exciting”.
“That is why aqua drinks are at the heart of our health strategy,” Terrise said. “It allows people to keep drinking nice things but they are healthier than most traditional soft drinks.”
Danone sells a range of flavoured water under its Evian and Volvic brands in a category that has come under attack from health groups accusing producers of marketing it as a healthy alternative to water. This month, a US judge gave the go-ahead to a class action lawsuit against the Coca-Cola Co that accuses it of making “deceptive and unsubstantiated” claims over its Vitaminwater brand.
In H1 results, released today, Danone's water unit posted a 9.6% jump in sales alongside a 5.9% rise in volumes.
As we welcome in the New Year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2014 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
Danone Waters Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in bottled water in Germany. The company offers different brands within bottled water, including Volvic and Evian. Its main strategy is to f...
This month's management briefing takes a look at the last 12 months for the global drinks industry. In part one, Ben Cooper reviews the year in the bottled water category....
Danone France focused its efforts on its premium bottled water brands including Evian and Volvic. Bottled water is a challenging category in which to add value with considerable private label pressure...
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
The G8 Soft Drinks industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The guide al...
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Sustainability in Drinks - Sugar: A Shared Priorit
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- Brown-Forman looks to raise US$500m
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future