just On Call - Flavoured water is "healthy" - Danone CFO
Danone released its H1 results today.
Groupe Danone's CFO has defended its flavoured water brands from accusations they contain too much sugar, saying they sit “at the heart” of the company's health strategy.
On an analysts' conference call today (29 July), following the group's first-half results, Pierre-Andre Terrise said that so-called “aqua drinks”, which account for 30% of Danone's water sales, are "healthy" and low in sugar compared to other soft drinks. He said consumers don't view them as a replacement for water but as “something more exciting”.
“That is why aqua drinks are at the heart of our health strategy,” Terrise said. “It allows people to keep drinking nice things but they are healthier than most traditional soft drinks.”
Danone sells a range of flavoured water under its Evian and Volvic brands in a category that has come under attack from health groups accusing producers of marketing it as a healthy alternative to water. This month, a US judge gave the go-ahead to a class action lawsuit against the Coca-Cola Co that accuses it of making “deceptive and unsubstantiated” claims over its Vitaminwater brand.
In H1 results, released today, Danone's water unit posted a 9.6% jump in sales alongside a 5.9% rise in volumes.
As we welcome in the New Year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2014 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
This month's management briefing takes a look at the last 12 months for the global drinks industry. In part one, Ben Cooper reviews the year in the bottled water category....
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
Returning from Mexico, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor shares his thoughts on what plastic packaging has to offer, going forward....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts