just On Call - Dr Pepper Snapple Group CEO backs Ten despite struggles
DPSG says Dr Pepper Ten needs more time to bed in
Dr Pepper Snapple Group's CEO has defended the underperforming Dr Pepper Ten, saying he expects the low-calorie CSD to end the year with flat or positive growth.
In first-quarter results released yesterday (24 April), declines in Dr Pepper Ten helped push the Dr Pepper brand to a 3% volumes sales fall. An analyst also warned that Ten, released in 2011, remains a “show-me” innovation and has done little to boost DPSG's biggest brand.
However, DPSG president & CEO Larry Young told analysts on a call yesterday that consumers are increasingly seeking out healthy alternatives in the CSD category and will soon latch on to Ten. He said: “You don't go in overnight and change consumption habits, but we are bullish about the prospects for Dr Pepper Ten.”
He said he expects the brand to finish the year “basically flat or a little bit up” in volumes growth.
Meanwhile, DPSG's CFO, Marty Ellen, said Snapple has an “opportunity” to expand into Asian markets on the back of demand for RTD tea.
“RTD is a good category across the world and Snapple fits in there well,” Ellen told analysts. “We would love to have the opportunity to grow internationally.”
Struggling sales for diet soft drinks should see a new wave of innovation break over the category. Tom Vierhile reports....
Dr Pepper Snapple Group formed after the company was spun off from its parent Cadbury Schweppes in 2008. It brings together the former Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc, Snapple Beverage Group, Mott’s LLP and Be...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review