just On Call - Dr Pepper Snapple Group boss defiant over health lobby threats
The boss of Dr Pepper Snapple Group has said he will not let "threats" to the industry over obesity concerns affect the group's volumes.
Speaking late yesterday (13 February) following the group's full-year results, president & CEO Larry Young acknowleged a damning new report from the Centre for Science and Public Interest. "These threats from our industry are not going to go away," he told an analysts' conference call. "But we're not going to sit back and let it bring our volumes down and affect us."
Young talked up the opportunities for the group's new low-calorie Ten range, launched last month. "We know we have a winning proposition with our TEN platform," he said. "And with strong marketing plans and retail activation in place, we're confident it can help to reinvigorate the category over time."
The CEO also welcomed competition in the sector, saying the more activity from the likes of PepsiCo and Coca-Cola the better it is for the industry.
"We are all very competitive, we are used to fighting on the street, we go after the activation, we go after the best taste, and the best man wins. So I look forward to competitive activity," he said.
The group's full-year net sales came in flat and CFO Marty Ellen told analysts: "The macro-economic environment remains challenging, with tax increases and higher healthcare costs weighing on consumer discretionary spending."
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
Dr Pepper Snapple Group formed after the company was spun off from its parent Cadbury Schweppes in 2008. It brings together the former Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc, Snapple Beverage Group, Mott’s LLP and Be...
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
2011 and 2012 were dominated by the influence of drastic increases in the cost of nearly all raw materials. Consequently, the fruit juice industry was confronted with a big challenge. The prices of ra...
Sports and energy drinks put in a strong performance in 2012. However, this strong performance was solely driven by energy drinks, while sports drinks suffered from declining demand. Energy drinks are...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review