just On Call - Dr Pepper Snapple Group boss defiant over health lobby threats
The boss of Dr Pepper Snapple Group has said he will not let "threats" to the industry over obesity concerns affect the group's volumes.
Speaking late yesterday (13 February) following the group's full-year results, president & CEO Larry Young acknowleged a damning new report from the Centre for Science and Public Interest. "These threats from our industry are not going to go away," he told an analysts' conference call. "But we're not going to sit back and let it bring our volumes down and affect us."
Young talked up the opportunities for the group's new low-calorie Ten range, launched last month. "We know we have a winning proposition with our TEN platform," he said. "And with strong marketing plans and retail activation in place, we're confident it can help to reinvigorate the category over time."
The CEO also welcomed competition in the sector, saying the more activity from the likes of PepsiCo and Coca-Cola the better it is for the industry.
"We are all very competitive, we are used to fighting on the street, we go after the activation, we go after the best taste, and the best man wins. So I look forward to competitive activity," he said.
The group's full-year net sales came in flat and CFO Marty Ellen told analysts: "The macro-economic environment remains challenging, with tax increases and higher healthcare costs weighing on consumer discretionary spending."
This month, Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd follows up on the reports that PepsiCo is planning to launch a premium brand into the burgeoning US bottled water market next year, in an attempt to accelera...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review