just On Call - Cott Corp chief warns of 'challenging' 2014
Cott's problems are expected to continue in 2014
The CEO of Cott Corp has said he expects the CSD category in North America to remain “challenging” in 2014 after his company saw volumes in the segment fall “mid to high-teens” last year.
During a conference call today (12 February), following the release of the group’s full-year results, Jerry Fowden admitted that the CSD market in 2013 “did not pan out as expected”. He said that pressure on the market had led to “deep” promotional activity, which affected the group’s volumes as a private label CSD producer.
“I expect the North American beverage landscape, especially CSDs, to remain challenging in 2014, with continuing pressure on category and private label volumes, as well as on margins from excess capacity and increased promotional activity and pricing," Fowden said.
The group today reported that its full-year profits fell 64% to US$17m, as sales dipped 7% to $2.09bn. Asked today about Cott's volume decline in CSDs in North America, Fowden disclosed it was "in the mid to high-teens" but the company's shelf-stable juice business grew "low- to mid-single digits".
Cott Corp is a global leader in the private label sale of soft drinks and manufacturing beverages on a contract basis for major retail partners. The company seeks to maintain its core North American p...
Carbonated Soft Drinks in Global industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
Carbonated Soft Drinks in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- The global beer category - The facts
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research