just on Call - Constellation Brands focussed on clearing debt, not M&A - CEO
Constellation Brands is staying focussed on paying off its debt, according to the group's CEO
The group was cited last month as a possible buyer for the embattled Australian wine firm. However, on an analysts' conference call today (2 July), Robert Sands, Constellation's CEO, said: “Our postion remains the same (on M&A)... as to the use of capital, our primary focus remains our debt pay down.” He flagged the debt it acquired, following its buy-out of Crown Imports last year from its JV partner Grupo Modelo.
However, Sands did not rule out possible “tuck-in” deals. “If a brand came around that was something really hot and met our financial objectives, of course we would take a look at an opportunity like that,” he said. Some rumours have suggested TWE could be looking to hive off its Penfolds brand to a consortium, with French luxury goods firm LVMH having been flagged as a possible buyer.
Meanwhile, Constellation's CFO Bob Ryder said that the group is aiming to move away from relying on Anheuser-Busch for raw materials for beer production at its brewery in Mexico. The company is currently buying 40% of its goods from the Budweiser brewer, but is in negotiations with other suppliers, including glass producers, Ryder said. Packaging accounts for 50% of costs for beer, he noted.
Sands later rejected the idea the company is being significantly affected by glass supply issues, but said there had been some “isolated” incidents in the US. “It's well in hand, we do not have a glass shortage,” he said.
The conference call followed the release of Constellation's Q1 results earlier today.
Constellation Brands, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Grupo Modelo S.A.B. de C.V. (Grupo Modelo) is one of the leading producers of beer in Mexico. It produces, distributes and markets beer. Grupo Modelo brews and distributes 14 brands such as Corona Ext...
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product ...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research