just On Call - Constellation Brands eyes draught beer opportunity
Sands said taking control of the beer business has been "seamless"
Constellation Brands has said that it has a major opportunity to up its beer brands – such as Modelo Especial - on draught in the US, as it is “underpenetrated” in the format.
Speaking to analysts yesterday (3 October), following the release of the group's half-year results, CFO Bob Ryder said that draught beer sales account for less than 2% of its business. “We're extremely underpenetrated in the draft industry ... so we think there's a lot of opportunity,” said Ryder.
Through its Crown Imports business, Constellation is aiming to make Modelo Especial “the next Corona” in the US. “Distribution of Modelo Especial is probably 30% to 40% less than distribution on Corona,” said Ryder.
Meanwhile, he admitted the company is still “tinkering” with the labelling of its Modelo Light brand, prior to a full roll-out. The beer is currently being tested in one US market.
Corona Light draft – another recently-launched brand – is “growing in every market”, CEO Rob Sands said.
On the full takeover of Crown by Constellation, after completing its buy out of Grupo Modelo's stake in the business from Anheuser-Busch InBev in June, Sands said the transiton has been "successful and seamless". The company has also taken ownership ownership of the Piedras Negras brewery in Mexico. “Operations are running smoothly,” said Sands.
Constellation is also planning the roll-out of its Modelo Especial Chelada brand this week to “key” markets, with a national roll-out planned for next summer, Sands added.
The group's second quarter financial performance for wine and spirits was "impacted by the timing of product shipments", the CEO said.
Meanwhile, a new wine brand is planned called Rosatello, described as “a sweet, low-alcohol wine targeted at Hispanic and urban female consumers”.
Craft Beer Market in the US 2012-2016
The analysts in this report forecast the Craft Beer market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 17.46 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the chan...read more
The world’s second largest wine producer, Constellation Brands transformed its alcoholic drinks operations with the acquisition of Modelo’s US beer business in 2013. This profile considers strategies ...
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research