just On Call - Constellation Brands eyes draught beer opportunity
Sands said taking control of the beer business has been "seamless"
Constellation Brands has said that it has a major opportunity to up its beer brands – such as Modelo Especial - on draught in the US, as it is “underpenetrated” in the format.
Speaking to analysts yesterday (3 October), following the release of the group's half-year results, CFO Bob Ryder said that draught beer sales account for less than 2% of its business. “We're extremely underpenetrated in the draft industry ... so we think there's a lot of opportunity,” said Ryder.
Through its Crown Imports business, Constellation is aiming to make Modelo Especial “the next Corona” in the US. “Distribution of Modelo Especial is probably 30% to 40% less than distribution on Corona,” said Ryder.
Meanwhile, he admitted the company is still “tinkering” with the labelling of its Modelo Light brand, prior to a full roll-out. The beer is currently being tested in one US market.
Corona Light draft – another recently-launched brand – is “growing in every market”, CEO Rob Sands said.
On the full takeover of Crown by Constellation, after completing its buy out of Grupo Modelo's stake in the business from Anheuser-Busch InBev in June, Sands said the transiton has been "successful and seamless". The company has also taken ownership ownership of the Piedras Negras brewery in Mexico. “Operations are running smoothly,” said Sands.
Constellation is also planning the roll-out of its Modelo Especial Chelada brand this week to “key” markets, with a national roll-out planned for next summer, Sands added.
The group's second quarter financial performance for wine and spirits was "impacted by the timing of product shipments", the CEO said.
Meanwhile, a new wine brand is planned called Rosatello, described as “a sweet, low-alcohol wine targeted at Hispanic and urban female consumers”.
Craft Beer Market in the US 2012-2016
The analysts in this report forecast the Craft Beer market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 17.46 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the chan...read more
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
The world’s second largest wine producer, Constellation Brands transformed its alcoholic drinks operations with the acquisition of Modelo’s US beer business in 2013. This profile considers strategies ...
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research