just On Call - Constellation Brands eyes draught beer opportunity
Sands said taking control of the beer business has been "seamless"
Constellation Brands has said that it has a major opportunity to up its beer brands – such as Modelo Especial - on draught in the US, as it is “underpenetrated” in the format.
Speaking to analysts yesterday (3 October), following the release of the group's half-year results, CFO Bob Ryder said that draught beer sales account for less than 2% of its business. “We're extremely underpenetrated in the draft industry ... so we think there's a lot of opportunity,” said Ryder.
Through its Crown Imports business, Constellation is aiming to make Modelo Especial “the next Corona” in the US. “Distribution of Modelo Especial is probably 30% to 40% less than distribution on Corona,” said Ryder.
Meanwhile, he admitted the company is still “tinkering” with the labelling of its Modelo Light brand, prior to a full roll-out. The beer is currently being tested in one US market.
Corona Light draft – another recently-launched brand – is “growing in every market”, CEO Rob Sands said.
On the full takeover of Crown by Constellation, after completing its buy out of Grupo Modelo's stake in the business from Anheuser-Busch InBev in June, Sands said the transiton has been "successful and seamless". The company has also taken ownership ownership of the Piedras Negras brewery in Mexico. “Operations are running smoothly,” said Sands.
Constellation is also planning the roll-out of its Modelo Especial Chelada brand this week to “key” markets, with a national roll-out planned for next summer, Sands added.
The group's second quarter financial performance for wine and spirits was "impacted by the timing of product shipments", the CEO said.
Meanwhile, a new wine brand is planned called Rosatello, described as “a sweet, low-alcohol wine targeted at Hispanic and urban female consumers”.
Craft Beer Market in the US 2012-2016
The analysts in this report forecast the Craft Beer market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 17.46 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the chan...read more
Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is facing challenges in the mature US beer category by focusing on premium and craft beer. As the US Justice Department precluded A-B InBev from controlling the lucrat...
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...
The company faced a period of uncertainty at the end of 2012 regarding its future in the midst of A-B InBev and Constellation Brands’ merger discussions. Eventually, in February 2013, all parties reac...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report