just on Call - Coca-Cola Enterprises sees diet CSDs outperform regular in Europer
CCE has been encouraged by the performance of its diet range
Consumer fears over aspartame appear not to have crossed the Atlantic from the US, as Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) has reported that its diet portfolio is outperforming its regular range in Europe.
In an investors conference call last week, CCE’s European president, Hubert Patricot, was asked whether markets were being affected by increasing health fears. “We don’t see that,” said Patricot.
“If anything, the diet portfolio has outperformed the regular portfolio in the last quarter ... and they (diets) really continue to grow very fast.”
His comments came after CCE last week reported a drop in nine-month net profits, with sales flat.
Concerns around the artificial sweetener aspartame have hurt the US' diet soda market lately, with Dr Pepper Snapple Group's chief saying last week that he was "shocked" by the impact. PepsiCo has also expressed concerns.
Meanwhile, on the firm's future prospects in its key Western Europe markets, Patricot said CCE expects to be helped by some “GDP improvement” by next year. But, he added: “Unemployment remains pretty high in all our markets - 8% to 9% - and it does not change.”
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends