just On Call - Campari caught in vodka price war - CEO
Campari's CEO said vodka prices are "volatile"
Campari's CEO has hit out at a “second-tier" vodka company that is pulling down prices in the US by "dumping vodka" in the country.
On a conference call earlier today (13 May), Bob Kunze-Concewitz said the practice has left vodka pricing in the US “volatile” and singled out a “very important imported brand”. He declined to name the company, however, saying only that it will change its import and distribution networks by the end of the year.
“Clearly the people who are running the business right now are really emptying their warehouses, dumping prices and that's having an impact on the vodka market,” Kunze-Concewitz said.
When contacted by just-drinks a spokesperson for Campari that Kunze-Concewitz preferred to keep the name of the brand confidential.
Kunze-Concewitz also said that the pricing pressure is most keenly felt in California, but added: “I wouldn't be surprised if it spreads”.
“This is not a long-term phenomenon, but clearly short-term," he continued. "It will have an impact, and it will keep the vodka space volatile.”
Kunze-Concewitz blamed smaller vodka makers for the volatility and said larger competitors “are more disciplined”.
In first-quarter results, released today, Campari posted a 25% drop in pre-tax profits in the three months to the end of March.
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Campari's Q1 performance, click here.
Diageo's Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky brand strengthened its hold on the global Travel Retail market last year, increasing volumes by 15%, new figures have shown....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets