just On Call - Brown-Forman CEO warns of social media threat to US on-trade
Brown-Forman released its full-year results yesterday
The head of Brown-Forman has suggested on-trade softness in the US spirits market may be long-term as new trends see younger consumers share drinks over social networks instead of in bars.
In a call with analysts after his company's strong year-to-date numbers release yesterday (5 March), Paul Varga said consumers in their early-to-mid 20s are choosing not to go out because of a lack of disposable income. People are now “creating the bar at home”, he said, with social media sites making it easy to connect with online friends.
“I think it's a fair question for all of us to be asking ourselves is, are we at the beginning of something that's evolving … in such a way that it might influence the business?” Varga said.
The CEO said on-premise trends in the US had “weakened significantly” in the past 12 months to the lowest level in almost five years. Brown-Forman blamed a reduction in casual dining and an overall slowdown in consumer spending for the drop, with Varga noting that caution over social media drinking was based only on his own observations.
However, he added: “I think it is one of the most interesting aspects of what’s going on with the millennials and whiskey and it actually, I think, could be influencing the on-premise today.”
He also said that Brown-Forman is looking at ways to push on-trade sales, which he called “the ultimate test” for brands. He said on-trade still remained “probably the greatest brand building environment for distilled spirits and a great differentiator of our industry, relative to most packaged goods”.
In Brown-Forman's results, net profits in the nine months to the end of January were up 10%, with sales increasing by 5%.
Spirits in Portugal industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contai...
Spirits in New Zealand industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
Tequila is an alcoholic beverage that is produced from blue agave plants. People have mixed perceptions about tequila, but its acceptance is expected to increase during the forecast period. Manufactur...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends