just On Call - Beer coup boosts wines, spirits retail power - Constellation CFO
Constellation has increased its beer sales
Bob Ryder told analysts yesterday (2 July) that Constellation “definitely has a bigger seat at the table” in conversations over shelf space and distribution points. Constellation became the third biggest brewer and beer seller operating in the US market after taking control of Modelo brands last month.
“Beverage alcohol is probably the most important category at retail, especially among chain and mass merchandise retailers, and as the third largest player overall that puts us in an important position,” Ryder said. “We have increased points of distribution in wines, spirits and beers so we think that we should be seeing continued favourable trends because of this.”
In first-quarter results released today, Crown Imports, the beer JV in the US with Grupo Modelo that Constellation has acquired, saw net sales increase by 5%.
CEO Rob Sands said in the call that sales were driven by brand “juggernaut” Modelo Especial, which sells more than 40m cases a year and “continues to grow in the 20% range”.
“The other thing that's happening is that the import category is doing better than the sub premium and premium categories," Sands added. "I think that our marketing also continues to resonate with the consumer and our equity continues to resonate.”
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Constellation's Q1 results, click here.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Sustainable packaging gets the just-drinks management briefing treatment in this, the fourth and final part of our look at environmental sustainability in the wine sector....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review