just On Call - Beer coup boosts wines, spirits retail power - Constellation CFO
Constellation has increased its beer sales
Bob Ryder told analysts yesterday (2 July) that Constellation “definitely has a bigger seat at the table” in conversations over shelf space and distribution points. Constellation became the third biggest brewer and beer seller operating in the US market after taking control of Modelo brands last month.
“Beverage alcohol is probably the most important category at retail, especially among chain and mass merchandise retailers, and as the third largest player overall that puts us in an important position,” Ryder said. “We have increased points of distribution in wines, spirits and beers so we think that we should be seeing continued favourable trends because of this.”
In first-quarter results released today, Crown Imports, the beer JV in the US with Grupo Modelo that Constellation has acquired, saw net sales increase by 5%.
CEO Rob Sands said in the call that sales were driven by brand “juggernaut” Modelo Especial, which sells more than 40m cases a year and “continues to grow in the 20% range”.
“The other thing that's happening is that the import category is doing better than the sub premium and premium categories," Sands added. "I think that our marketing also continues to resonate with the consumer and our equity continues to resonate.”
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Constellation's Q1 results, click here.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
The world’s second largest wine producer, Constellation Brands transformed its alcoholic drinks operations with the acquisition of Modelo’s US beer business in 2013. This profile considers strategies ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
Frigorífico Modelo SA is engaged in a wide range of activities, including the production of fruit/vegetable juice; however, this is not the company’s main focus. In terms of its fruit/vegetable juice ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Global Wine industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research