just On Call - Australia only market not to see success for Tennessee Honey
Tennessee Honey has been rolled out globally
The Jack Daniel's extension has posted strong double-digit growth since it was launched in the US in March 2011 and has now been extended to a number of international markets. The global rollout helped drive a 26% global sales growth for the brand in today's (28 August) first-quarter results.
However, Brown-Forman chief financial head Don Berg told analysts on a conference call after the results that Australian sales have underperformed compared to the rest of the world.
“The exception is Australia,” Berg said. “After an initial start in line with international markets, we've seen softness in the category, which is hitting all the flavoured whiskeys. Part of that is that Australia is such a strong Bourbon and cola market, and RTD market. It may well be that there's just not as much interest in new flavour profiles.”
Berg also blamed economic weakness in Australia that saw Brown-Forman's Q1 underlying sales fall by 5% in the country.
Earlier, Berg had said spirits were hit hardest by Australian macro weakness because they were the country's biggest category. “It's anyone's guess as to what will happen in Australia economically, but there is nothing to suggest things will improve in the near term,” Berg said.
The third part of this month's management briefing, in which Euromonitor considers the year ahead for the global drinks industry, sees Jeremy Cunnington and Spiros Malandrakis look at the spirits cate...
Through much of the review period, Brown-Forman has struggled for growth. However, in 2012 its rate of growth picked up as the early results of its 10-year plan, announced in 2010, started to show as ...
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research