just On Call - Anheuser-Busch InBev predicts 1.2m-hectolitre World Cup boost
A-B InBev released its H1 results today
Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO has said next summer's World Cup could add 1.2m hectolitres to the company's beer volumes in Brazil.
In a conference call with analysts today (31 July), Carlos Brito estimated the tournament will boost volumes by four times as much as last month's Confederations Cup. Brito described the Confederations Cup - which added 300,000 hectolitres to Brazil's second-quarter volumes and helped A-B InBev recover from a poor Q1 - as a “dress rehearsal” for next year's “main event”.
In A-B InBev's second-quarter results today, beer volumes in Brazil dropped by 0.4%. However it was a marked improvement on Q1 numbers, when volumes in the country fell by 8.2%. The company said it expects volumes to end the year flat or slightly down in Brazil.
Brito told analysts that it is still reviewing international distribution deals for Grupo Modelo's brands, following its acquisition of the Mexican brewer, but said that Corona's distribution could be brought in-house.
He said Corona is well-positioned around the world but “always on the back of importers with short-term contracts”. Budweiser, however, “is growing because it is our brand,” he said, comparing Budweiser's 19m-hectolitre annual volumes with Corona's 4m hectolitres. “The same can happen with Corona,” Brito said.
A-B InBev completed its US$20.1bn acquisition of Grupo Modelo last month.
Anheuser-Busch InBev's plan to buy back Oriental Brewery serves as the strongest indictment yet of the rude health the global brewer is currently in....
Less than a year after the alarm bells started, it would appear that the beer market in Brazil is poised to turn a corner in 2014, with hopes being pinned on this Summer's FIFA World Cup soccer tourna...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends