Focus - Remy Cointreau's FY Performance by Brand
Remy Martin's sales fell by 20.8%
Today (5 June), Remy Cointreau posted a significant drop in full-year sales and profits after a weak showing in China. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance by brand in the 12 months to the end of March.
Sales fell by 20.8% to EUR551.2m (US$750.3m) because of “weak sales in China in the context of a transforming spirits market”, Remy said. “This situation should not mask the brand’s momentum in the US, Japan, Russia and Africa,” the company added. Operating profits for the brand fell 44% to EUR125.4m. The operating margin for the year was 22.8%, compared with 30.1% the prior year.
Liqueurs & spirits
Sales grew by 3.3% to EUR237.3m. The performance “reflected a slight decline in Cointreau sales” and double-digit growth for Metaxa and Mount Gay. St Rémy’s was in growth but Passoa was “adversely affected” by tough trading in Europe and Bruichladdich “continued its expansion” within the group’s network. Operating profits fell by 21.2% to EUR37.1m, partly due to increased advertising and promotional investment over the second half of the year, Remy said. The operating margin was 15.6%, compared with 18.9% the previous year.
Sales grew by 6.1% to EUR243.1, including EUR103m from the Edrington Group brands in the US. The Edrington partnership ended on 31 March. Partner brand performance was boosted by Scotch whisky and Champagne brands distributed in the US, and spirits brands distributed in Belgium and the Czech Republic, Remy said. Operating profits totalled EUR8.7m - including EUR3m attributable to the Edrington Group brands in the US - compared with EUR4.2m the previous year.
Rémy Cointreau Group in Spirits (World)
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...read more
With a limited portfolio, a narrow geographic focus and expensive and so far unsuccessful acquisition of Brugal, Edrington is a company that needs to do much more work to become a healthy internationa...
Spirits in Singapore industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also conta...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global spirits market during December 2013....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report