Focus - Molson Coors' Q2 Performance by Region
Molson Coors released its Q2 and H1 results today
Earlier today (6 August), Molson Coors released its second-quarter results. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance in the period by region.
In Canada, underlying pre-tax profits fell by 0.7% to US$138.0m in Q2. A timing difference in marketing spend helped keep performance stable despite lower volumes and a negative sales mix. Sales to retailers fell by 4.3% in the second quarter compared to a 4% drop in the overall Canadian market because of bad weather, Molson Coors said.
Second-quarter sales volumes for Molson Coors Canada dropped by 2.6% and net sales per hectolitre fell by 0.5% in local currency. Cost of goods (COGS) per hectolitre increased by 6% in local currency but marketing expenses fell by about 20% in local currency.
In Europe, underlying pre-tax profits increased 14.4% to $82.4m on a pro forma basis. Europe sales volumes fell by 2% because of poor weather, including flooding in Czech Republic in June. Europe net-sales-per-hectolitre increased about 5% in local currency. COGS per hectolitre increased about 2%, while marketing expenses increased about 3% in local currency.
International posted an underlying pretax loss of $2.4m in Q2, an improvement of $11m from a year ago because of the elimination of Molson's China JV in the third quarter last year, improved profit performance in its non-joint-venture business in China and lower overhead expenses, the company said. International sales volumes increased 51% because of the inclusion of the Central Europe export business this year, along with volumes growth in Mexico. COGS per hectolitre decreased about 3% while International marketing expenses fell by 39%.
To read H1 results from Molson Coors' JV in the US with SABMiller, MillerCoors, click here.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The 2012 acquisition of StarBev raised Molson Coors from ninth to seventh in the global beer market and significantly expanded its international coverage. This profile analyses the opportunities deriv...
Global Alcoholic Drinks industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The p...
Here, courtesy of analysts at Nomura, is a list of the purchases made in the global brewing industry between 1999 and last year, along with the EBITDA multiples paid....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018