Focus - Molson Coors' Q2 Performance by Region
Molson Coors released its Q2 and H1 results today
Earlier today (6 August), Molson Coors released its second-quarter results. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance in the period by region.
In Canada, underlying pre-tax profits fell by 0.7% to US$138.0m in Q2. A timing difference in marketing spend helped keep performance stable despite lower volumes and a negative sales mix. Sales to retailers fell by 4.3% in the second quarter compared to a 4% drop in the overall Canadian market because of bad weather, Molson Coors said.
Second-quarter sales volumes for Molson Coors Canada dropped by 2.6% and net sales per hectolitre fell by 0.5% in local currency. Cost of goods (COGS) per hectolitre increased by 6% in local currency but marketing expenses fell by about 20% in local currency.
In Europe, underlying pre-tax profits increased 14.4% to $82.4m on a pro forma basis. Europe sales volumes fell by 2% because of poor weather, including flooding in Czech Republic in June. Europe net-sales-per-hectolitre increased about 5% in local currency. COGS per hectolitre increased about 2%, while marketing expenses increased about 3% in local currency.
International posted an underlying pretax loss of $2.4m in Q2, an improvement of $11m from a year ago because of the elimination of Molson's China JV in the third quarter last year, improved profit performance in its non-joint-venture business in China and lower overhead expenses, the company said. International sales volumes increased 51% because of the inclusion of the Central Europe export business this year, along with volumes growth in Mexico. COGS per hectolitre decreased about 3% while International marketing expenses fell by 39%.
To read H1 results from Molson Coors' JV in the US with SABMiller, MillerCoors, click here.
Beer in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The...
Here, courtesy of analysts at Nomura, is a list of the purchases made in the global brewing industry between 1999 and last year, along with the EBITDA multiples paid....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research