Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
Heineken released its H1 results today
Africa and Middle East
The brewer's H1 sales stayed mainly flat in the region at EUR1.27bn and operating profits dropped by 4% to EUR304m. First-half volumes were “slightly down” but highlighted an improving performance in Q2, with volumes up 1%.
The group blamed inflationary pressures and civil unrest in some areas. Nigeria was in line with last year because of low job creation and higher inflationary pressures on disposable income, Heineken said, adding that it will continue to invest in new capacity in the country.
H1 sales stayed mainly flat in the region at EUR2.21bn and operating profits dropped by 6.5% to EUR276m. First-half volumes “declined slightly”, Heineken said. Mexico posted “slightly lower” volumes in line with the overall market, the group added, while in the US, sales to retailers were down 1% in H1, outperforming the market. Brand Heineken volumes in the US were lower than last year, Heineken said, but Dos Equis and Tecata Light continued to grow double digits. In Brazil, beer volumes were “constrained”, Heineken said.
Central and Eastern Europe
H1 sales stayed mainly flat in the region at EUR1.5bn but operating profits surged by 88% to EUR194m because of a EUR75m gain from the sale of Heineken's 28% stake in Efes Kazakhstan. Russian volumes fell by high-single digits in H1, Heineken said, blaming new alcohol restrictions that have affected the overall market. Poland also saw a drop in volumes because of high unemployment and slow economic growth.
H1 beer volumes were down 8% in the region while operating profits were down by 10%. First-half sales dropped by 6%.
Around 80% of the region's operating profits come from Tiger beer brewer Asia Pacific Breweries (APB), which Heineken took full control of this year. APB's H1 volumes were up by 10% and operating profits were up by 20%. The unit saw “solid growth” in Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, the brewer said.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
Heineken N.V. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research