Focus - Diageo's Q1 Sales by Region
Diageo released its Q1 trading update this morning
Earlier today (17 October), Diageo posted a 3.1% lift in sales in the three months to the end of September. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance in the period by region.
North America (33% of net sales) - +5.1%
Diageo's US spirits business was cited as a key driver in North America. Strong performances from Cîroc, Crown Royal and Ketel One were highlighted, with the three contributing to mix improvement, Diageo said.
Western Europe (19% of net sales) - -1.1%
Underlying trends in the region were unchanged from those seen in the final quarter of the previous fiscal year, according to the company. However, performance in the quarter did benefit from some restocking in France. “I still expect a low single-digit net sales decline for the full year (in Western Europe),” said CEO Ivan Menezes.
Africa, Easter Europe & Turkey (20% of net sales) - +1.3%
The region was hit particularly hard by a sales decline in Russia as the country cycled a “very strong” first quarter in the prior year. Africa delivered a year-on-year sales lift of 5.0% following weaker trading in Nigeria and Ghana. “Both markets are expected to strengthen during the year,” the company noted.
Latin America & Caribbean (13% of net sales) - +10.9%
Despite the healthy performance, the company highlighted weakness in Colombia in the period. Also, the West LatAm & Caribbean sub-division was hampered by currency weakness that led to destocking in the distributor channel.
Asia Pacific (15% of net sales) - +0.6%
“Government policies in China have led to a substantial fall in net sales in Diageo’s Chinese white spirit subsidiary (ShuiJingFang),” the company said, referring to anti-extravagance measures introduced late last year. South-East Asia, meanwhile, was hampered by currency-related distributor destocking. On the plus side, South Korea saw improvements, as did India. Super and ultra-premium Scotch whisky also grew strongly in China, but the region as a whole saw its growth slow in the quarter.
As we start our annual series of management briefings that focus on environmental sustainability, Ben Cooper looks at the importance of integrating the issue into all aspect of a company's operations ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
In the second part of this month's management briefing, which shines the light on the importance of environmental sustainability in the brewing industry, Ben Cooper considers the impact of stakeholder...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
In the third part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper reviews the environmental sustainability of three of the world's biggest brewers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Diageo....
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Moet Hennessy hails Formula One deal for Chandon
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research